Business Resilience Diagnostic Tool

BDO, working with the regional Growth Hubs, has designed this diagnostic to help businesses think about the factors which might impact the ability of a business to succeed in an ever changing world.

30 Questions designed to help you assess your Business Resilience

Click HERE to start


Click for the latest Brexit FAQ's

Click for the latest presentations from the 
'Get ready for Brexit' events.

Preparing your Business for Brexit

Use the checker tool to find out what you or your business will need to do to get ready for Brexit.

The CHECKER TOOL identifies relevant information based on seven simple questions;

This information has been sourced from the website.


If you import or export goods or services to the EU, you need to get your business ready for Brexit.

For example, you need to take action if you export goods to the EU 
or transport goods out of the UK by road.

You also need to check what you need to do now if you import goods from the EU 
or sell services to the EU.

There are different rules for moving goods between Ireland and Northern Ireland.



To visit Europe after Brexit there are things you need to do before you travel.

You should check if you need to renew your passport, buy travel insurance with healthcare cover, and make sure you have the right driving documents.

Check what you need to do to visit the EU


Living and working in an EU country after Brexit depends on the rules in that country.

You may need to register or apply for residency, check if you’re covered for healthcare, and exchange your UK driving licence for a licence issued by the EU country where you live.

Check your rights for the country you live in



You should check if you need to apply to the settlement scheme if you or your family are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.

Check what you need to do to stay in the UK

Browse all information related to Brexit:


Guidance and regulation

News and communications

Research and statistics

Policy papers and consultations

Transparency and freedom of information releases


Business Readiness Bulletin      

Issue 44: 24 February 2020   


Welcome to the latest in a series of business readiness bulletins, aimed at keeping trade associations, business representative bodies and business intermediaries up to date on the latest guidance for business whilst the UK is in a transition period which will last until the end of the year. This Bulletin aims to provide you and your networks/members with important information from Government, to help prepare for the end of the transition period.    

Recent Announcements

NEW – The Home Office has published a policy statement which sets out the government’s plans for a new UK points-based immigration system. The UK's points-based immigration system: policy statement. They have also produced a New immigration system: what you need to know.

UPDATE – The Home Office has updated information for employers on employing EU, EEA and Swiss citizens in the UK, covering right to work checks, the EU Settlement Scheme and the UK’s new immigration system. Employing EU citizens in the UK

NEW – The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy’s Secretary of State, Alok Sharma, has written an article outlining the benefits of the new points-based immigration system for businesses. Our message to the world: Britain is open for business

Business Readiness Forum       

Thank you to those that joined the Forum last week.  Please see the attached PDF of the slides from our Business Readiness Forum from 20 February 2020. Our next forum will be a webinar on Thursday 5 March 2020. Further details will be sent to relevant organisations under a separate cover. Please share your thoughts, feedback or topics you would find useful with us via


UK Global Tariff Consultation

The UK left the European Union on 31 January 2020.

For the first time in almost fifty years the UK is free to set its tariff rates on imported goods. To inform the development of the new UK Global Tariff, the Government has launched a four-week public consultation and is seeking your views. The consultation began on 6 February 2020 and closes on 5 March 2020 at 23:59 GMT.

This consultation seeks:

views on a potential series of amendments to the EU’s Common External Tariff to create a bespoke UK tariff regime;

specific feedback on individual products or commodity codes of importance to you (including the corresponding tariff rate); and

information on your interactions with Most Favoured Nation tariffs and the importance of tariffs to sectors that are relevant to you.

The bespoke UK tariff regime will enter into force on 1 January 2021 and replace the EU’s Common External Tariff.

To take part in the consultation and have your say on the new UK Global Tariff, visit GOV.UK.

Digital tool for exporters of goods from the UK

The Department for International Trade has launched ‘Check How to Export Goods’, a new digital tool to help UK businesses trade with over 160 markets around the world. The free tool will help you easily find and understand what is needed to export goods internationally. It provides product-specific and country-specific information on tariffs, regulations, the UK border and other topics all in one place. It will be updated regularly to reflect any changes to trading arrangements.


Freeports Consultation

The UK Government has launched a public consultation on Freeports policy. It will last for ten weeks.

It is proposed that up to 10 Freeports will be introduced across the UK, which will be national hubs for trade, innovation and commerce. The Government’s aim is for Freeports to attract new businesses, jobs, investment and opportunity.

You can find more information and respond to the consultation by 20 April 2020 here.

Actions you can take now that do not depend on negotiations

Following its departure from the EU on 31 January 2020 the UK is now in a transition period until the end of 2020, while the UK negotiates a free trade agreement. This link provides a list of actions business can undertake now, all transition period information and the opportunity for you to sign up to email alerts about the transition period.












With thanks to our brand partners
Halton growth hub Astmoor Halebank Dats

© Halton Chamber of Commerce and Enterprise 2014. Registered in England Company Number 3115981.
Halton Chamber of Commerce & Enterprise, 7th Floor, Municipal Building, Kingsway, Widnes, WA8 7QF Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy